Thursday, October 14, 2010

October 14, 2010 Email

Hey you guys!
So Fred's baptism didn't go through because he smoked, so that is a bummer. He smoked again this week too so it's a no go for this weekend either. He's really struggling with it, and it's hard for us to help him more than we are because he's so hard headed and stubborn. So I fasted for him and we're putting things in the Lord's hands and doing everything we can, because that's all you can do.
We're also teaching a lady named Sarah that we tracted into a couple weeks ago. (I know, we actually found some one by tracting)! She's very interested in learning and is willing to keep all the commitments that we leave with her! There's a Tongan Elder who served his mission in the West Indies Mission and is here in the area with family on medical reasons who doesn't want to get released as a missionary until he gets back home to Tonga, so we've used him as a third male to come and help us teach both times so far. Hopefully you'll be hearing about her on date for baptism soon.
We're also teaching the Moore family. They moved down here to Utah from Idaho recently and they are really nice and great to talk with. They're very stuck right now in their ways and don't want to venture far out of their comfort zone. They are Christian Chaplains/ preachers. We last committed them to read in the Book of Mormon and pray about it and they said they would. We have another lesson with them on Friday so hopefully things will go well.
We have been going through former investigators and we added a guy who had been taught before named Johnson Iris. His only problem last time that prevented him from getting baptized was that he wasn't willing to dump his girlfriend and he hasn't seen his girlfriend in over 2 months now. So our first lesson we sat down with him and got to know him just like we're supposed to and he pretty much just shared all his problems with us and his goals. Than we used the Book of Mormon to answer his concerns and bring peace to his soul. It was amazing to see how the spirit just brought scriptures to our minds that just applied exactly to him. Both after Elder Casey and I shared our scriptures he said "that's beautiful." So we're hopeful to help him get baptized now!
We're still finding solid people for the sisters too. haha I can't wait for us to find solid people for us to teach soon. I know they're out there, we just need to find them!
I do think that priesthood session was the best one at conference. I really liked Elder Kearon's talk and Pres. Uchtdorf's in priesthood session. Oh and of course Elder Oaks talk had new meaning since I know him a little better now! haha
Sounds like another good trip to the cabin! Sad we won't be able to go any more, but it's all good! Fun fun memories!
Lucky L! October break. My congrats to her on her grades! I hope she has fun at the dance, too!
Fun stuff that you and Kayla get to hang out together. That'll be fun to be able to "hang out" when I get home. haha but definitely not now.
Bummer about dad's knees! Has he gotten a blessing yet? I know because you tell me every time. I just got a boosted testimony of blessings yesterday. Elder Casey woke up sick on Mon. and we went out and worked the whole day and he just got progressively worse throughout the day. So then on Tues. when he woke up he was pretty darn sick, so we stayed in for the morning and then worked the rest of the day. He was still going down hill all day, so at the end of the day we had the Zone Leaders come over so we could give him a blessing. I got to give the blessing and did it so that he'd be able to be well to enjoy Zone Conference. When he woke up that morning, all he had was a runny nose; and now nothing. So that was a huge miracle.
Hey maybe I can get permission to go to Grandpa's thing in Spanish Fork! jk
SWEET!!!!! You didn't tell me about Kyle Lenhart getting married! That's sweet!
That is so weird that Kendall is almost done! I can't believe that; I remember when he left! That means I don't have too long either.
I got the envelope with the letters! It's so crazy how much there always is! It's good! I got the pictures of you guys with the camel back home and I got a couple of key chains that look like pins only they have a key chain coming out of them instead of a pin on the back. I got a good laugh from that one, so did the zone leaders. haha
The office cleaning was a piece of cake. We were one of the last zones to go so everyone else in the mission that went before us cleaned it out already. We just pretty much got there and ate lunch. I'll have to put you on a waiting list for the house cleaning back home. I'm booked until Oct. 5 next year.
It is weird to be here repeating holidays, especially b/c I'm in Rose Park same as I was last year. but ya, there have been some major changes in the mission that are mainly just things to help us become a Zion Mission! There aren't a ton of things that are actually being changed, just a lot of things being cracked down on! I've grown a lot, too, in the way I am able to be bold and not afraid. I've also become a better teacher (most of the time).
President Winn didn't give me any suggestions of things to do to prepare for leadership, so I'm just trying to prepare myself by continuing to just do what I'm asked and try to fulfill what the Lord expects of me.
Thanks for sending the buttons for my suit. Elder Casey got me all fixed up. At this point I think I'm good as far as things I need. I'll be happy when the suit thing works out! But if I think of something I'll write it down and let you know.
We biffed it the other day on the tandem. I'm fine except my knee really hurts. So now I feel dads pain. haha ouch...
I haven't been able to do a session yet since I've gotten the names. But hopefully soon.
People are funny. No it's not against the rules to see me at conference and it is actually on the list of the new "Zion Mission Standards" that we are able "...to see family briefly during conference time."
Lots of love and stuff!
Elder Partridge

No comments:

Post a Comment